In today’s world it is extremely important to look after the health of your skin. Environmental factors and flawed lifestyles are resulting in premature ageing of skin. organic skin careSkin starts to age by the late twenties these days. This is because collagen (a protein that provides elasticity to our skin) starts loosening with age and the epidermal cycle-renewing of skin cells-slows down.
We usually start taking anti-ageing treatments only when the first signs of ageing start appearing on our face. Why wait that long? The right time to start anti-ageing measures is when you are in your 20s.
There are three factors that lead to premature lines: exposure to UV and infrared rays of the sun, pollution and too much stress. However, with the right lifestyle, product intervention and a few precautions, you can reduce and delay the onset of wrinkles
A healthy diet, regular exercise and good skin care are pre-requisites for keeping your skin young and glowing. It is important to increase anti-oxidant intake by consuming more green and coloured vegetables, salads and fruits. Exercise is extremely important for healthy skin. All you need is 30 to 40 minutes of an aerobic workout, such as brisk walking, four to five times a week. You could also meditate for 10 minutes every day. It will relax your muscles, bring down your stress level and reduce toxins that can cause ageing.
In addition, you can try out various anti-ageing products and procedures. Your dermatologist may recommend a single treatment or a combination depending on your skin’s response and requirement. Here’s some advice on which ones work well for your age.
20 to 30 Years :
* Start using creams/moisturizers with anti-oxidants such as Vitamins E and C, and retinol.
* Always use a sunscreen.
* Go regularly for different salon procedures. If your skin is oily and acne-prone gonatural cosmetic products for a clean-up once in three weeks. Skin polishing/microdermabrasion (a method of intense exfoliation) once a month. Normal or dry skin requires a clean-up once every two months and skin polishing once in two to four months.
* Dermat procedures can also be undertaken depending on your skin. If it is dull or tanned, peeling would help. The procedure and its frequency should be decided by your dermatologist.
* Botox can also be used in low doses in the younger age group to prevent deep expression lines from forming. But never without professional advice.
30 to 40 Years :
* Use a sunscreen and creams with anti-oxidants like CoQ10 (reduces wrinkle depth by 30%), Idebenone (a latest entrant in the anti-oxidant arsenal that has shown good results), DMAE (reduces age spots and wrinkles).
* Facials with AHAS (alpha-hydroxy acids) that exfoliate and reverse ageing are recommended once a month. Start non-surgical face lifts – a series of six to eight sittings once or twice a year. LED Photomodulation (using low-level light to treat sun-damaged skin) once a week for two to four sittings – once a year.
* Chemical peelsfor them once in two to three months.
* Botox requirement.
* Mesotherapy llation of anti-oxidants and anti-ageing agents like vitamins and retinol in the skin-two fortnightly sittings once a year. These methods work best if you have mild to moderate wrinkles and lines.
40 years and above :
* Use a Sunscreen and look for creams with anti-oxidants such as CoQ10, Idebenone, DMAE.
* Start prescription retinoids two to four times a week under the supervision of a dermatologist.
* Facials with non-surgical face lifts once a month. If required, a series of 12 to 15 botanical skincarenon-surgical face lift sessions twice a week, over a year.
* Led Photomodulation Go for it once a week for three to four sittings, twice a year.
* Skin Peels once in one to three months will yield desired results.
* Thermage this is the most revolutionary and the most expensive (Rs 1 lakh per sitting) treatment for deeper skin tightening. Skin tightening of the lower half of the face and neck as well as jowls begins about 2 to 4 weeks after the treatment and lasts for 2 to 5 years. Usually only one treatment is sufficient.
* Laser Rejuvenation once a month for 3 to 6 sittings. The latest is ‘Fractional or Erbium: Glass Laser’.These methods yield best results on skin with mild to moderate lines/wrinkles.